Wednesday, October 4, 2017

What is a Tomahawk Steak?

A Tomahawk Steak is a specific cut of rib eye beef which has a long piece of rib bone still attached to it, to provide you and your guests with the “Wow Factor”.  The look of the cut is said to resemble a Tomahawk Axe, hence the name, “Tomahawk Steak”.

what is a Tomahawk steak

This custom cut of steak has a definite caveman connotation, I could easily see myself picking up the steak for self-defense and winning the cavewoman of my dreams with my “Tomahawk Steak” bravery!

So, have I ever cooked a Tomahawk Steak at my parties? The answer is No, not so far, but never say never!

Why Wouldn’t I Buy A Tomahawk Steak?

#1.

Call me stingy BUT paying for a massive piece of bone, along with a prime cut of meat seems a bit ridiculous! (Yeah, I hear ya, it might just be worth it for that cavewoman!) Remember you’re paying for the bone weight as well as the meat.

#2.

How the hell am I supposed to fit more than one Tomahawk Steak on my grill?! I pride myself on having a Big Boys grill and whilst I could fit 2 steaks on it (1 for me and 1 for you know who!) – any more would be a very tight fit indeed.

#3.

Does the extra 8 inches add any extra flavor? We all know that bones give a deep flavor to stocks and stews, but with a dry cooking method like grilling, the bone doesn’t make much difference.

Professor Jeffrey W. Savell, Leader of the Meat Science Section in the Department of Animal Science at Texas A&M; University, was quoted as saying this about bone-in steaks:

“We do have some national data about the tenderness, juiciness, and flavor of bone-in and boneless ribeye and strip steaks, but the differences were very small.”

THE big reason for buying a Tomahawk Steak

I’ve mentioned this already, the Wow Factor cannot be underestimated!

A Tomahawk Steak is a classic primal cut of beef, which has a ready-made handle to pick up and eat that delicious rib-eye right off the bone.  It wouldn’t be out of place in Game of Thrones and you will definitely impress the ladies, your boss or your buddies with this showpiece of a steak.

You can even choose an absolute top cut of steak, eg, kobe or wagyu beef, read more about them in this article.

If you’re feeling you want to ramp up your Caveman Status and get in touch with your Inner Hunter, then here’s how to cook your Tomahawk Steak:

I’d recommend checking out Omaha steaks for online ordering, they are happy to custom cut your steak for you.

 

The post What is a Tomahawk Steak? appeared first on ThingsMenBuy.com.



from ThingsMenBuy.com http://www.thingsmenbuy.com/what-is-a-tomahawk-steak/
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment